12 officers alongside 89 soldiers have been declared missing by the Nigerian Army following the wake of last week’s Boko Haram attacks on Marte and Dikwa local government areas of Borno State.
A signal dated March 1, 2021 from Operation Lafiya Dole Headquarters in Maiduguri, has it that the soldiers were declared as deserters.
It was said that three majors, three captains, six lieutenants, three sergeants and 89 soldiers took to their heels in the aftermath of the attacks on Marte and Dikwa.
Daily Trust took it that the signal, which was signed by Col. A.O. Odubiyi, on behalf of the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, partly read;
“I am directed to connect Reference A on above subject and to respectfully forward details of additional officers and soldiers who absconded from the defensive location during the BHT attack on New Marte and Dikwa.
“You are requested to declare the named officers and soldiers’ deserters WEF 19 Feb 21. You are also requested to cause HQ NAFC to freeze their accounts and apprehend/bring them under military escort to this Headquarters if seen within your AOR.”
Premium Times also reported that the bank accounts of the affected Soldiers have been frozen. The order to arrest and freeze the bank accounts of the fleeing soldiers reportedly came from authorities of Operation Lafiya Dole in Borno.
Various reports of the army have been notified to immediately arrest and deliver any of the soldiers found in their areas of responsibilities. See the names of the soldiers below;
Osakwe Festus N
Paul Pilate Saddam
The publication also reported that soldiers attached to 15 Task Force Battalion were ambushed and dislodged after hours of intense gun duel.
Those who’re familiar with the matter, said the soldiers were overwhelmed and could not withstand the superior firepower of the insurgents. The unit then tactically retreated and relocated to Dikwa, which was again attacked